On the mend

Well I guess I should update and let everyone know how life is going. The Radio-Active Iodine(RAI) was given to me on Tuesday Nov 11th and I stayed in my mom's basement bedroom for 6 long days & 5 long nights. Some would think that alone time would be nice and fun, but I'm kind of a needy person (at least I can admit it) and like to have my husband around and I totally missed my kids. Travis came and saw me Tuesday-Thursday after work. He had to stay 7 ft away from me. Then he went and got the kids on Friday night and I didn't get to see him or the kids until I finally came home late Sunday night.

You learn a lot of things about yourself when you can't really be around anyone else. I must say I got very good at coloring, I decided I don't really like crossword puzzles, watched all the sappy chick flicks I could handle, read many magazines/books, and prayed alot. I know that I grew as a person during that week and have tried to apply some of the lessons I learned to my life since coming home.

I was warned ahead of time from the Dr's & other people who have been through this same process that the RAI would make me feel very sick and drained. I didn't feel as bad as I thought which I guess was a good thing. In fact when I went back in on Nov 18th for a body scan I asked to radiology tech if they really gave me the RAI because I didn't feel any worse than I had been feeling. She confirmed that I did get it and the remnants were still in my body.

So for now I am just waiting for the thyroid hormones to take effect. They say it will take about 3 weeks for them to really start working and then I will have to have some blood work done to make sure they are giving me the right amount. It is amazing how much your thyroid controls. I am FREEZING all the time, I have absolutely no energy, and feel like I've been beat up. I can't wait for the medicine to take that all away (Hopefully)

So there is the boring update. Thanks again to everyone for the phone calls, emails, comments, and words of encouragement. I know that I have been very blessed throughout this whole experience.

Comments

Lisa M said…
Glad you are on the mend. Happy that you were able to make it through a week alone. I wonder if I could,... I doubt it.
You are still in my thoughts and prayers.
Ali said…
So glad to know the worst is probably over!

Popular posts from this blog

November

Who really reads my blog???

Expressing my feelings.